I’ve had the request to put in a step-by-step sequence of a painting, so here we go! I haven’t a video camera, so no flicks of the whole process; just step-by-step stills.
I’m continuing on to my next trail painting adventure. I wanted to try a tad bigger than my usual 8″x10″, but the only panel I had the right size and proportion was already painted black. I don’t usually start that way, but that’s the way the cookie crumbled this time. I’m learning to “go with the flow”.
1. Just laying in general lights. (Sorry, photo is a little blurry.)
2. Added some faded blues for the distant hills and shadows under trees.
3. Trees are usually green, right?.
4. Adding a little richness to the earth.
5. A little more form to the trees.
6. Didn’t like the composition of the trail in front. Made it less noticeable.
7. Added final details! (click for a closer view)
Trail Study #10
oil on panel